Sunday, March 1, 2009

To homeschool or not to homeschool...




We have been going back and forth on homeschooling for quite some time. Our oldest children are in public school (or college), and for the most part we don't have too many complaints. But it seems like it is a crap shoot from year to year whether they get good teachers or not. I hate taking that risk. And I hate sounding like "that parent" when I try to get things changed, fixed, clarified, or even communicated. Sometimes we have really great teachers working with us, and other times, well...

So we have our 3 year old and we are teaching her at home. She is not old enough for school yet, but we are not taking her to preschool. We are teaching her ourselves. It's funny how once you open your mind to homeschooling, the entire world looks different to you. I can't believe how many "teachable" moments there are in the day, where I never would have seen them before. Today while combing Jada's hair I let her play with her little medical kit. Daddy had it out to cut her nails and I kept it out to occupy her while I was detangling. She was really interested in the thermometer so I let her play with it and I explained what it was, what it was used for, and how it told mommy and daddy if she was sick. She decided she wanted to take her own temperature. She looked so cute that I couldn't resist taking a few pictures of her.
(I think we watched one too many episodes of America's Next Top Model yesterday because today all she wanted to do was "pose" for the camera, hence the picture of her sort of upside down!) :0)

No comments: